Sunday 25 May 2014

AIMEES GUIDE TO GILI T


Restaurant owners favourite dish


Sunrise instead of Sunset - Just to mix it up
 
Ferry port, Gili Trawangan

I have worked Asian travel so that it is cheaper than staying in Australia for my breaks.

For example Gili T in Indonesia - Perth to Lombok direct with jetstar $210 return. 2 hour taxi to the ferry port $20, half hour ferry $1.30. One nights accommodation between $25-$30. Scuba diving $35 per dive. Not to mention $2 beer and $2 for Mie goreng. Gili T in comparison to Lombok is quite expensive and this is me not being a tight ass and being a 'rich' tourist, if I was keener, I could do it cheaper.

 
Gili Trawangan makes up one of the three gili islands and is a backpacker haven for partying and diving. Surprisingly I have had little to do with the partying on the island because I have always been too keen on the diving.
 
I did my Advanced Open Water dive course here on Gili T about 3 months ago and fell in love with the place and the dive shop. All the diving is quite close to shore so it involves basically no travel time. Having dive sites so close means you can get a dive in, in the morning, come back for lunch, get a quick nap in and be ready for your afternoon dive. Then after your second dive, be back to shore by 3:30 to drink beer and swim in the pool. If you want
to get a night dive in you have to skip the beer


The sunset at the bottom end of the island is the 'thing' to do. There is two bars at the best viewing point that fill up about 45 mins before sunset. Sitting out front of the dive shop you can actually see the hoards of bikes heading past in that direction.

Food on Gili T is pretty amazing with lots of fresh Bbq'd seafood. A great place to sample local Indonesian food is at the night markets, with all sorts of variety from chicken noodle soup to fish in local spices with rice. I learnt from a friend that a good way to get good local food is to ask the waiter what their favourite dish is and order that. I have been doing this for a while now... Sometimes I win, sometimes I really lose.


Another thing that helps make for a unique little spot is that there are no motor vehicles on the island. Locals and tourists use horse and cart and bikes to get around. You can ride/push your bike around the island in about an hour.
 
Really not a hard place to spend my RDO's

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment