Tuesday 6 May 2014

FRANK

 
 



Frank and I briefly met at a backpackers in Ocean Beach, San Diego. Frank was driving down to Mexico in the direction I was heading and as I am always looking for a free ride, I hit him up for a lift in return for some great company! Frank is a young at heart, 60 ish year old semi retired Texan lawyer; always keen for company and a good debate or philosophical discussion on life. I also since learnt that he knows more about 60's and 70's Rock than anyone I have ever met! The morning of our departure another girl from the backpackers Alison, decided to join us as well.

I had only planned on heading about 150kms down the Baja Peninsula, however, after sitting in the car with Frank for a brief period of time we obviously got chatting about where Frank was going. Turns out he had just bought a 32ft downeaster called Island Seeker in La Paz and he was heading down to put it in the water to live on...

Safe to say all the sailing dreams/goals and bucket list priority came flooding back. I made the 1500km journey to La Paz with Frank and Alison and spent 3 months in the town and on the surrounding islands. I also had the privilege of being part of an amazing community of sailors where I inherited my 'La Paz Parents' and a La Paz Family.
 
18 months-ish after returning home - back to work in North Western Australia, doing Fly in Fly out to Port Hedland; I got a Facebook message from Frank saying 'if you still want to buy a boat, then I have found the one for you'
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment