Saturday 14 June 2014

EAST TIMOR - MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS






Me and My New Besties


Local Praying at a Virgin Mary Statue


Timor Leste flag waving proudly on the street



What an amazing country Timor Leste is, I haven't had this same feeling for a country since I volunteered in Cambodia 10 years ago. From the custom officials at the building they call an international airport to the little old lady that grabbed my hand adoringly and wouldn't let go (no, she didn't ask for money). The people here are sensational. For a country that has so recently seen such hardship, everyone is so upbeat. 
 
There is an odd dynamic here though because it feels like there would be no foreigners around and yet it is full of them. They are mostly Aid, UN and government workers. There are very few foreigners here for tourism and the tourist infrastructure is hard to navigate.

Everything in the shops seem to be from elsewhere. Packaged food and drinks are imported from Europe to Australia and everywhere in between. Possibly part of the reason this country is so expensive.



The currency is in USD, I went to buy a towel from a standard local shop, the price said $18.50. I don't understand how a person living in a bamboo hut can afford to spend $18.50 on a towel. I thought the price might be a mistake, I didn't ask because my tetum is rusty (actually non-existent). Nearly 40% of the population in East Timor live below the intentional poverty line
 
The only big, nice buildings in Dili are government departments or foreign embassies. Lots of the embassies are beach front. They would be prime real estate anywhere else in the world.
 
There is something about this place that has so much charm. I think the most important thing in a country is the people, secondly the food, then the sights. This order only changes when the sights or the food is mind blowing. So far, on first impressions, the people in East Timor absolutely make the place.  
 
I'm off to go and look at a statue of Jesus at sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment