Sunday 26 October 2014

THE LEAST GLAMOROUS JOB ON A BOAT - FIXING THE HEAD


Re-sealing the pump


Me broken after finding a whole pump assembly

Flash brand new, newly installed pump
A well deserved sunset beer, while painting my nails

I keep getting told that sailboats are good for character building and I think the head  aka toilet, was the first thing on the boat to help build character.

The head has been an issue for me since the start. Originally the boat had a compost head. Emptying it involved carrying the 'jug' of urine or bag of compost out past the galley (kitchen) to throw overboard. Safe to say the compost head was made redundant on my boat almost immediately. 

Now the new standard pump head wasn't working properly and was leaking. As with any component, it seemed a $90 seal kit/service was in order. 

In all fairness Hendo offered to do it, but with my weak stomach and average mechanical aptitude, I figured if I could do this, then I could actually do anything.

WORST JOB EVER!!! The grossest thing I have done to date. Once it was all back together, the toilet was now working, but it was still leaking out of the cover. Turns out there was a crack in the plastic. At this point I was shitty - no pun intended! 

I had to go back to the Chandlery and find a cover which of course they didn't have. To make sure we were talking about the same cover the shop assitant pulled out a complete pump unit. I asked the price very half-assed thinking a whole unit wouldn't even be an option when he told me it was $125.

At this point I was broken! 

I spent 4 hours of my life, covered in poo, to save $35! 15 mins (minus the 30 mins I spent telling everyone about my outrage) and an extra $125 later toilet was fixed, there were no leaks and I had learnt a very valuable lesson.

When it comes to anything on a boat that has to do with human excrement, don't repair it, replace it!


No comments:

Post a Comment